- Real knowledge is assumed to belong to the lecture, as communication is one-way with no participation, feedback or reinforcement from the audience
- It is assumed that there is a knowledge gap between the lecturer and the listeners. It is assumed that the trainees' heads are empty vessels which need to be filled with facts
- As trainees are passive recipients of information they soon become bored or restless
- The lecture method emphasises the transfer of information and facts, but the strength of the message depends upon much more than the facts themselves
- Attention spans are limited, especially if the lecture is delivered in a montonous voice. The average person immediatly forgets 50% of what he/she has heard
- Too often the lecture is a 'canned' talk, prepared only once and repeated often
- The lecturer has no way of knowing how well the trainees are understanding or believing the messages if there is no focused feedback during or after the lecture
Thursday, March 25, 2010
The disadvantages of lectures
The human ecology history line is tightly linked to how we communicate the environment or should we say our surroundings and what we care for? Here is some tips about why ordinary lectures are not the best way to talk about complex questions, like whith those we now stand for, when everyone need to understand and really do something else.
Sharing some essays from different interesting university classes over the years. This one is from Human Ecology, translated from Swedish- ...
THE TRANSITION TO A SUSTAINABLE SOCIETY -A DISCUSSION ABOUT ECOLOGICAL MODERNIZATION Anna Rosengren Society, nature and change, 2009 De...
. Got a tip about the comic The long tomorrow from a close friend after reading last post. The comic was made by Dan O'Bannon in 1975. ...